Using Hubspot and Referral Factory together, you can automate everything from generating referral links for users, to asking your customers to refer their friends, to marking which referrals convert, to rewarding successful referrals. No-code needed!
Hubspot is a great software platform designed to help your company market and sell more effectively, and when combined with Referral Factory (Hubspot's #1 referral app), you can automate many of the manual tasks associated with managing a referral program. With these tools together, you can generate more referrals and grow your business without adding to your workload.
In this guide, you'll learn how to get the most out of Referral Factory and Hubspot working together!
👉 Build a referral program that is fully on-brand (using our drag-and-drop builder)
By syncing your referral program and your HubSpot CRM, you can:
👉 Generate a referral link for all or some of your HubSpot contacts
👉 Send all your new referred users (leads) directly into the HubSpot workflows you already use
👉 Automatically qualify these referred users when they convert - simply by updating the lead status, lifecycle stage, or deal stage of that contact in HubSpot.
👉 Automatically reward contacts for their referrals - if your campaign offers rewards.
Referral Factory and HubSpot work together to run hassle-free referral campaigns, enabling you to grow your business - through referrals!
In order to launch a referral campaign and integrate it with your Hubspot account, you will need the following:
- A Referral Factory Basic or Pro subscription.
- A published referral program (if you're not sure how to make one, watch this video)
- Any Hubspot account.
First, you'll need to build your referral program using the campaign builder inside of Referral Factory. Once your referral program is up and running, you can be ready to integrate it with Hubspot 👇
In this guide, we will show you how to:
- Connect HubSpot to Referral Factory
- Help you build and set up your own custom referral campaign
- Set up your HubSpot Integration
- Map what data you send to HubSpot (when you get new referred users/leads)
- How to automatically qualify your referrals using the HubSpot workflows you already use
- Sync your HubSpot Contacts with your referral campaign - automatically generating referral links for them
- Uninstall your HubSpot integration from Referral Factory
1. Connect HubSpot to Referral Factory
Click on the settings tab on the left-side navigation bar. Then click the ‘Connect’ button on the HubSpot integration option. Choose the HubSpot account you wish to connect to Referral Factory.
*Note you can only connect one HubSpot account at a time.
Please make sure that you accept giving Referral Factory permission to access your HubSpot account.
Once your Referral Factory account is connected to HubSpot, you will need to configure your integration inside your campaign. To do this please navigate to the settings step inside your campaign builder - jump to the third section to see how to do this.
2. Build and set up your own custom referral campaign
With Referral Factory you can design, build and launch a referral campaign in just a few minutes. Without writing a line of code! You can customize your campaign to look and feel just like your brand too. Our drag-and-drop builder allows you to add your own logo, change the background, edit the font settings and add new content such as headlines, text, images, and videos. For more information on how to build a referral campaign, watch this video.
3. Set up your HubSpot Integration
In your campaign settings, you'll see a block at the top that says: ‘Setup your campaign to send users out, and then qualify those users when they convert ’ - let's start here!
- First, choose the method you want to use to qualify your referred users - lead status, lifecycle stage, or deal stage.
- Then, define what the status of the new user will be when they are sent to HubSpot - for example "New Lead". Referral Factory will then automatically send all your new referred users directly to HubSpot using the settings you choose.
- Next, define ‘What will the status of the user change to when they are qualified”, in your HubSpot account. This is the status / stage that your customer or user will have once they convert.
- Lastly, you can also define what “Type” of Referral Factory user you want to add to HubSpot - direct users, referred users, or users who have manually been added to a campaign from an existing database. In order to make sure your new referred users get sent to HubSpot, select the "Referred" users option.
Once these three steps are completed, users that join your referral campaign will automatically be sent to HubSpot. If a contact already exists in HubSpot with the same email address that they have used to join your referral campaign the contact will not be duplicated in your HubSpot CRM.
*Note: If you want to Qualify your referred users using a different setup in HubSpot - that means you don’t want to use our three standard options listed above: lead status, lifecycle stage, or deal stage - then we suggest sending the ‘Referral Code’ of each referred user into HubSpot so that you have their unique identifier inside your HubSpot CRM. When the user qualifies, you can then send their code back to Referral Factory using our ‘Qualify with code’ Zap. You can read how to do that in this Zapier help guide. In the next section, you will see how to map the ‘code’ field to send it to HubSpot. Please note that this is often used as an alternate method, and is not as simple as using one of the three standard ways to qualify referred users.
4. Map what data you send to HubSpot (when you get new referred users/leads)
Define the user data that you want to collect and send to HubSpot. Keep in mind that HubSpot requires default fields "Name" and "Email" so you will need to send these.
Make sure that these fields have also been created in your HubSpot account in order to successfully send the data points you've mapped out. If that field doesn’t exist in HubSpot then the contact will not be sent through.
You can also include the first name and email address of the referrer as a contact property when sending referred leads to HubSpot.
Once you've published your campaign and you start getting referrals, they’ll automatically be sent to your HubSpot account with the lead status/lifecycle stage/deal stage that you assigned.
5. Automatically qualify your referrals using the HubSpot workflows you already use
Qualifying your referred users automatically makes it easy for you to see how many referrals you have generated from your campaign, and how many of those have converted into actual sales 🤑
It also allows you to create automated emails and rewards to go out to the users who need to be rewarded.
To qualify your referred users on Referral Factory, simply update the LEAD STATUS or LIFECYCLE STAGE, or DEAL STAGE in HubSpot. This depends on how you setup your integration (we explained this in the third section above).
When you do this, the status of the user in the Referral Factory will change accordingly, letting you know that the lead has been qualified. The change will be as follows:
Qualified = No
Qualified = Yes
From the example below, we can see that Monica referred to Harry. Now that Harry has been qualified we can see that Monica has a converted referral and needs to be issued a reward.
6. Sync your HubSpot Contacts with your referral campaign - automatically generating referral links for them
You can sync all of your HubSpot contacts or a specific list of contacts with your referral campaign. This will allow you to add those contacts to your campaign and issue them with their own unique referral links - this means you can include a contacts referral link in all your automated marketing efforts 👏
This is how you generate referral links for all or some of your HubSpot contacts:
From the Outputs tab of your campaign, click on the Sync Your CRM Contacts button.
From here you can follow the prompts to sync your contacts. It's important to note that you can choose to sync ALL contacts or a list of contacts.
You can also choose to keep this sync ongoing or to only do a once-off sync. This depends on whether you simply want to generate referral links for the contacts you already have in HubSpot today, or you want to generate referral links for the contacts you have in HubSpot today AND the contacts you'll have in HubSpot in the future.
Please make sure to map the Referral Link field to a field you have already created in HubSpot.
7. Uninstall your HubSpot integration from Referral Factory
To uninstall HubSpot from Referral Factory please navigate to the 'Settings' tab on the left-hand side.
Then select 'Disconnect'.
Once HubSpot has been disconnected the sending of new user data from Referral Factory to HubSpot will stop.
Any data that was sent before the de-installation of Referral Factory and HubSpot will be available in both places. Any new user data will still be available in Referral Factory as your campaigns will not be paused or stopped.
If you'd like more information on how to use Referral Factory and HubSpot together - please book a demo with our team.